Adventures in Train Travel

After a wonderful evening at the Mousetrap, we woke up super early to make our train out of King Cross station to Edinburgh. We were not successful in catching our intended train. Chris was adamant that we’d be able to take the next train. No problem. No added expense. I gave him the “Todo, we’re not in Kansas anymore” speech, meaning things don’t work like they do in the US. Sure enough, the man at the train station tells us it’s going to be something ridiculous ($300+) to purchase tickets for the next train. I was about to cry so had to excuse myself.

Missed train+Early morning+No caffeine= a VERY unhappy Cyndi

I don’t know what transpired after I left. Chris said the guy had a change of heart and didn’t charge us for the next train. I was so relieved! After waiting about 20 minutes, our train started boarding and we found our seats. We had to find seats that weren’t reserved. I picked a couple of seats behind a set of seats with tables. This turned out to be a very poor choice.

Two lovely families, with 3 children under the age of three, had reserved those table seats. I will say that Americans do not corner the market on kids acting a fool in public. If anything, from my experience, Americans are actually more conscientious of this behavior, unless you’re at a Walmart, then all bets are off. There was a little girl that was probably 3. Instead of boring you with all of the events that transpired, I’ll give you the 2 highlights. I woke up at one point because I felt “eyes on me”. Upon opening my eyes, that kid was standing on the seat beside me and was pinwheeling as she was falling backwards into the aisle. Against my better judgement, I reached out and saved the kid from falling. Mistake. Her parents were allowing her to stand, lay, wallow, shriek, eat, etc… on top of the tables they had reserved. They even allowed her to move up to the unoccupied table in front of them, which had a handle that looked something like this:

That friends and family, is some type of emergency handle to the window of the train. I awoke to what sounded like an air lock explosively decompressing. In my have conscious state, I thought the window was going to fly out of the train. For the next 2.5 hours, the train conductor announced that we were going to be 15 minutes late due to passenger interference with train emergency systems. The toddler’s parents seemed indifferent, but at least they did a better job of corralling her.

We arrived in Edinburgh midday and it was beautiful. We had about a 10 minute walk to our EasyHotel from the train station. Edinburgh is an easily walkable city. More about that in our next post though. Hello Scotland!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s